Current Student FAQs

Questions about online courses

What if I have a technology problem?
  • Make sure you set up a Zoom account!
  • Login information and guidance on best practices for online learning are available through this Information Technology resource:
  • Set up VPN (Virtual Private Network) software and AppsAnywhere if you can
  • Have a backup plan – for example, have Zoom and Canvas on your phone
  • Make sure you have enough room for Matlab if you will using that on your laptop
  • Please be patient – this is new for you as well as your professors!
  • Reach out to your instructors and TAs if you have issues. They will coordinate solutions with the College IT department.
Will the lectures be posted on UDCapture?

Classrooms will not be available for UD Capture.  Instead, instructors will be using the Zoom meeting platform.  Some professors are doing a mixture of pre-recorded lectures and live (and recorded) lectures. Your instructors are working on exactly how this is going to work for each class.

What time zone will the lectures take place since students live all around the world?

For live classes. instructors will record the lectures so that there is always a backup. It is highly recommended that you attend synchronous sessions as much as possible.

How can I succeed in an online course when I know I do better in person?

Dr. Enszer posted a YouTube video that has some great tips for learning online and more specific information for CHEG112.

There’s a similar video that Dr. Enszer and Dr. Jayaraman have posted about CHEG304:

Here are some recommendations from Dr. Enszer, Dr. Jayaraman, and Ann:

  • Keep a regular schedule
  • Attend classes regularly
  • Create a dedicated work space and keep it organized
  • Be diligent about minimizing distractions
  • Reach out to classmates to keep you accountable and help keep you grounded
  • Speak up if your instructors are going too fast or you need more explanation. Since your instructors are speaking to a computer, they don’t see if you are keeping up with them. Leave a comment in the chat – chances are there are other students who would appreciate a slower pace or a more detailed explanation.
What happens to lab and design courses?

The plan is for instructors to provide data to students for analysis and reports. When we return to campus, the department plans to hold hands-on demonstrations to make sure everyone gets experience with the equipment.

Is there access to Aspen?

IT has added two technologies (RDS and VDI) that allow them to run Aspen for the students instead of pushing the application to students. This provides access to non-Windows users and minimizes application stability and increases user experience. Moving forward IT will enable Windows users the choice to run Aspen locally or on the server. Non-Windows users have to run Aspen server-side unless they run Windows in a virtual machine using software such as Parallels or VMWare.

How are exams and quizzes going to work?

Professors are working on how they will hold quizzes and exams in a way that works best for them and their classes. They will share specific details as they work them out Office hours will be by Zoom.  CHEG112 peer tutors will likely do Zoom sessions.  All of your instructors are researching how best to test your understanding of the material and will be communicating their plan to you in the near future.

Are courses going to be pass/fail?

As of March 27, 2020, the University will provide guidance on grading policies shortly.

How can I get tutoring?

One-on-one tutors from the Office of Academic Enrichment can do Zoom meetings for virtual tutoring sessions. You can set up tutoring sessions through Blue Hen Success.  PASS tutors and drop-in tutors will offer weekly Zoom meetings for group online tutoring. Details will be posted on the website, including a meeting link and designated times for Q&A in the subject/class area.

All sessions will function like an online drop-in tutoring session. Tutors will respond to questions on a first-come/first-served basis; all participants in the meeting will benefit from the review. Our office will prioritize support for subjects identified as being in high demand.

Will TAs and professors hold office hours?

Yes, both will be holding online office hours via the Zoom platform.  Within Zoom, there can be a waiting room so that professors only talk to one student at a time.

Concerns about all the changes

I’m overwhelmed with everything, what do I do?

It’s okay to feel whatever you are feeling right now. Let’s stay safe and stay informed. Keep a tab open for for the latest updates. If you need to reach out or talk to someone about related concerns, you can email or call UD’s Coronavirus call center at 302-831-1188, which will be staffed Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Call the Center for Counseling & Student Development at 302-831-2141 or 302-831-1001 for after-hours emergencies or Student Health Services at 302-831-2226.  They are available 24/7 to help you.  They offer resources for self-care and there’s a UD Helpline (302-831-1001) and Crisis Text Line (741741; send “UDTEXT”) remain available 24 hours a day.  Please don’t be afraid to use these resources – they are there to help you through this unusual time.

Set up a Zoom meeting with Ann, your faculty advisor, or your instructor.  We are all here to help you with this semester.

Will commencement take place?

At this point, the University has not made any decisions about Commencement. It is absolutely the hope of the University that the ceremony can proceed, and we are working through that decision now. We know how much it means to students and the entire UD community. The University will communicate updated information as soon as it is available. The deadline to order regalia is not until April 13.

How will this affect graduating seniors?

A lot of seniors have commitments (jobs, graduate school, etc.) post-graduation and many of us are worried that this event will jeopardize that timeline. Is there anyway we can get a guarantee that we will graduate on time?

The Department will do everything it can to assure students receive a top chemical engineering education and reach their respective educational and professional goals on schedule. The faculty are 100% behind delivering your education.

What if I get sick and have difficulty attending class or doing my work?

Instructors will be dealing with these situations on a case by case basis. Just as when you were on campus, Dean Shermeyer’s office will be handling excused absences.  Your health and safety is a priority.

How do I get in touch with my academic advisor?

We will continue to hold advising appointments; however, all appointments will be held virtually using Zoom video chat software until further notice.

Contact the Undergraduate Services/Advising Office at (302) 831-8659 or regarding issues such as: 

  • Transfer Credit Evaluation approvals
  • Excused Absence Notifications
  • Leaves of Absence
  • Change of Registration
  • CURC petitions
  • Degree Clearance 

Contact your faculty advisor or Ann regarding issues such as:

  • general academic advising
  • Course Registration assistance
  • Change of Major advising
  • Transfer Credit inquiries related to curriculum
  • Mid-Term Grade issue meetings
  • Registration Hold advising and resolution

Questions about research

I’m doing research for one of the faculty members. What happens now?

Undergraduates are not permitted in facilities and faculty and staff should not access the University laboratories, classrooms, or offices for any reason. There may be an option to work from home for continuity of research. Some suggestions include data analysis, writing proposals, manuscripts, dissertations, Zoom group meetings, etc. are productive activities. Please talk to your PI/Advisor and see what you can continue to do through remote work. Your PI/Advisor will have expectations on what you will be doing, how you will communicate, and how to attend group meetings.

Questions from International students

I’m an International student, what happens to my immigration status?

UD’s switch to online classes amid COVID-19 concerns will not impact international students on F-1 and J-1 visa status following procedural adaptations that were recently announced by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Department of State. Typically, international students may only enroll in one online class toward a full course load, but new guidance from federal agencies are allowing schools to provide online instruction for international students on a temporary basis. If you have any questions about your visa status in the U.S., please contact an immigration services advisor at OISS to discuss your situation.

How do I change my major or add a minor?

To change your major or add a minor, go to UDSIS and complete a “Change of Program/Plan” webform.

How do I change my graduation term?

To change your graduation date, go to UDSIS and complete a “Change Graduation Term” webform.

When is Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall registration?

Please check the current Academic Calendar for all registration dates. 

Can I add or withdraw from a course after the drop/add deadline?

Add a course? No, you cannot add a course after the drop/add deadline.

Withdraw from a course? Yes, you can change your registration to withdraw, audit, or pass fail from a course without academic penalty up within the first 8 weeks of the semester. The deadline is always listed on the Registrar’s website. There is a $25 fee associated with any registration change after the drop/add period.

How do I change my registration to Pass/Fail, Audit, or Withdraw?

There is a one-time $25 processing fee per term for schedule changes made after the free drop/add period. All changes must be made prior to the 8-week deadline.

For domestic students, visit WebReg and select “Edit” to change to Pass/Fail or Audit or select “Withdraw.” Auditing or Withdrawing from a course can affect some scholarships or financial aid contracts, so please make sure you check your personal contract to verify it won’t cause any problems by calling 302-831-2126.

For international students, complete the course permt/schedule change form. The Office of International Students and Scholars (302-831-2115) will ensure your Visa status will not be affected before they approve the form.

What is Pass/Fail?

Pass/Fail (P or F on transcript)
Students select Pass/Fail when they think they will still pass the course (D- or above) but do not want a lower grade factored into their GPA. Also, when you receive a “P,” you will still “earn” the credits at the end of the semester (even though they do not count towards graduation*). This can be helpful if a student has a contract that requires him or her to “earn” a full-time credit load to maintain a scholarship.

Students may elect to take one course per semester pass/fail. Please note: if you Fail a “Pass/Fail” course, a failing grade will be factored into your GPA, but passing grades do not factor into your GPA.

*Courses taken as pass/fail will NOT count towards graduation. (i.e. Do not take a course pass/fail if you want it to count for a Breadth requirement, Major or Minor requirement, or a Technical/CHEG Elective.)

What is Audit/Listener status mean?

Audit/Listener (L on transcript)
Students may take a class as an auditor/listener. You will not receive a grade in the course and do not usually take exams or complete papers. Changing a course status to auditor/listener is an option that students sometimes use if they are not succeeding in a course. However, some professors require the student still attend the class as a Listener. This rule is dependent on the professor, so always check. If you do not attend a class that has required attendance, you could receive an “L/Z” on your transcript.

What does it mean to Withdraw from a course?

Withdraw (W on transcript)
If you wish, you can drop a course without any penalty before the registration deadline. If you withdraw from a class after this point, a “W” will appear on your transcript next to that course, and you will not receive credit for the course, or a grade in it. The deadline for withdrawing from a course is during the 8th week of the semester.

Often students ask, “Does a W look bad on a transcript?” While a “W” doesn’t look good, it’s better than the alternative. A “W” looks better than an “F,” and it will not affect your GPA.

  • U.S. Students: You will be responsible for the following semester fees: Student Health Service, Student Center, Comprehensive, and Registration fees. Fee schedule. All students are required to have health insurance coverage and must verify their coverage at the beginning of each academic year. The cost of this insurance plan is approximately $200 a year for fully funded students as the University subsidizes 86% of the actual cost of the plan. Specific information about the plan and enrollment options can be found at Note: Students may process a waiver to be enrolled in the plan if appropriately enrolled in another qualified plan.
  • Foreign Students: You will be responsible for the same fees as the U.S. students as well as the international student fee. All students are required to have health insurance coverage and must verify their coverage at the beginning of each academic year. The cost of this insurance plan is approximately $200 a year for fully funded students as the University subsidizes 86% of the actual cost of the plan. Specific information about the plan and enrollment options can be found at Note: Students may process a waiver to be enrolled in the plan if appropriately enrolled in another qualified plan.

At the MS level, there is no financial support for either full time or part-time (coursework) thesis.


Does an Auditing or Withdrawing from a course make me less than full time?

Your full-time status is determined by your credit load as it stands immediately after free-add drop is over. If you withdraw from or audit a course, you are still “enrolled” in it, but you are getting a grade of “W or L” in that course. While you are “enrolled” full time, you will only “earn” the credits with Standard Grading designation.

However, some international visas, athletic or academic scholarships, and grants require you to “earn” a full course load at the end of each semester. This is dependent upon your individual contracts. Therefore, you will need to check with the Office of International Students & Scholars (302-831-2115), Financial Aid (302-831-2126), or Athletic department (302 831-4006).

What if I need to drop after the 8-week deadline?

Under extreme circumstances (such as severe illness) students may appeal to the Assistant Dean’s office (302-831-8659) to Withdraw from the course after the 8-week deadline. Pass/Fail or Audit is not available under any circumstance after the 8-week deadline.

Other Registration questions?

For other Registration questions, please visit the Registration Help page at the Office of the Registrar site.

Scholarship questions?

The department does not have access to any of your financial or scholarship information. Please contact Student Financial Services at 302-831-2126.

UndergraduateCurrent Student FAQs